2019 APA Election Information
The APA Nominations and Elections Committee is appointed each year in January as required by the Constitution and Bylaws. The committee will determine the timeline and dates of the election and communicate information to the membership including how many positions and what type are open and explain the nominations and elections process.
As per the APA Constitution and Bylaws, elections are to be held annually and shall be conducted by March 31. Terms on the APA Executive Board are staggered each year and seats are elected for three-year terms. If any vacancies have occurred on the board, elections to fill the remaining terms of any open seats are held at the same time, along with any elections for MEA/NEA/RA Delegates.
Since the APA is part of the Michigan Education Association and the National Education Association, there are duties associated with these affiliates which include evening and weekend events including the Representative Assemblies and other appropriate meetings to keep the APA informed of actions by these bodies.
Individuals must be APA members in good standing to nominate or be nominated for office.
This communication serves as notice of the election and the opening of candidate nominations. All nominations must be submitted via email to the chair of the APA 2019 Nominations and Elections Committee, Kandy Slack at firstname.lastname@example.org beginning Friday, February 1, 2019, through 5:00 pm on Friday, February 15, 2019.
A paper-based ballot option is available by contacting the Elections Chair.
For questions, please contact the APA Nominations and Elections Committee Members: Kandy Slack (Chair), Heather Dover, Patricia Hampton, David McFarlane, Nicole Proctor-Kanyama.
Seats Open for election
APA Executive Board
Five (5) full-term three-year positions on APA Executive Board ending in 2022
One (1) two-year partial term position on APA Executive Board ending 2021
One (1) one-year partial term position on APA Executive Board ending 2020
Four (4) full-term three-year positions for MEA/NEA Representative Assembly Delegate ending 2022
One (1) two-year partial term position for MEA/NEA Representative Assembly Delegate ending 2021
One (1) one-year partial term position for MEA/NEA Representative Assembly Delegate ending 2020
- February 1 – Notice of election and candidate nomination announced to APA members via the APA Newsletter and APA Website updated to add the 2019 Elections tab information. Nominations open for five full-term APA Board seats, one two-year partial APA Board seat, one one-year APA Board seat, five full-term MEA/NEA RA Delegates, one two-year MEA/NEA RA Delegate, one one-year MEA/NEA RA Delegate. Nominators and nominees must be APA members in good standing. To nominate email the APA Nominations and Elections Chairperson, Kandy Slack at email@example.com .
- February 15 – Close of nominations submitted to committee chair by 5:00 pm.
- February 19 – Eligible nominees contacted via email to confirm acceptance of the nomination.
- February 22 – Deadline for nominees to accept nomination 5:00pm.
- Candidate information templates are due 3 business days after the candidate accepts a nomination. Candidates return information for the template to committee chair by 5:00pm. Template will show who is an incumbent. The template will only allow for the following information:
- Candidate Name:
- Official Job Title (this is the MSU job classification that shows up through MSU people search):
- Employing Unit:
- Number of Years in the APA Union:
- Number of Years Employed as a Regular Employee at Michigan State University (do not include times as a student/on-call/temp):
- Candidate Email Address:
- March 4 – APA Website 2019 Election tab will be updated to include candidates’ information templates.
- March 19 – Online voting ballot opens with an announcement through ListServ.
- March 28 – Voting closes 5:00pm. Election results 5:15pm open to members to attend at the APA Office, 3474 Alaiedon Parkway, Suite 400, Okemos, MI Results distributed to the membership via APA ListServ.